November 23, 2007

John Peri, some words more


" I am very much of a "backstage" portrait photographer." John Peri






"My dear friend "N"











"Should I comb my hair ?"





" Photography is a way of personalizing the world in which we live and of giving it a perspective with which we can identify. The same is true of the people that we photograph.


To photograph a woman will always remain for me both a challenge and an enigma. The most difficulty part I find is to capture the elusive part of her mystical charm that she will only reveal in small doses at a time, as if to preserve her most precious asset.


I wonder sometimes if I don't look away during those brief moments of defiance when she truly reveals herself, or maybe deep down I do not really want to betray her and share with others that ultimate moment of trust and complicity. At any rate, the result is often like a jigsaw puzzle in which some pieces remain hidden and one never gets to see the whole picture. That is why this will always remain for me a story without an end.










"L" on Wednesday afternoon"










" As some of you already know, my favourite subject is "the girl next door". A large number of these I did not know previously, and have asked them to pose for me after a brief encounter, sometimes in a café or elsewhere, other times after meeting them more formally through friends.









"Backstage... frontstage"





" More recently I have photographed some young models starting out in their career, helping them to build up their book, and I have also met with some more established professionals. However at this time, they remain a small number of my models, not more than around five per cent of my portfolio.

In all these cases, I strive to record something personal and revealing of their character, and I follow them around with my camera for that purpose. In this sense, I am very much of a "backstage" portrait photographer. What I do very largely is to create "images", dreams.
Sometimes my photos are manipulated, either in order to enhance the effect or to hide what should not be seen, so do not cry out triumphantly when some changes are perceived, unless it is advice on how to do it better. Unfortunately, this is rarely the case and even less frequently the purpose of the critique !" John Peri










"Casual Portrait"










"Peaceful Moment"

No comments: