April 8, 2008

Grzegorz Kulinski's interview






"Shoot like you want, not the way others want you to do it."







Dear Greg, how did your passion for photography begin ?

I think I begun like many others. One day I’ve found my fathers old range-finder camera in drawer and I made only 3 good shots. It was 12 years ago. Then I bought my first german SLR camera. But the “real” photography started when I got my first AF Nikon camera. I’ve worked during my studies, and I’ve spent six month salary to get it. From this point I started to take pictures of people. Later, on photo extravaganza, I’ve met some professional photographers, one of them liked my photos and he let me use his studio for some shots.





" Lollipop"




Where did you learn your art ?

I’m a self-learner. At my beginnings, I made shots, and then asked to my friends for critique, or I spent hundreds of hours in public library watching books with photos. Also working in photo store was also great help, because I’ve met a lot of art students and professional photographers, and asked them for harsh critique. I think, I can always learn something new. Even now, when I see new photography book, it takes me 20 seconds to buy it.






"Want to be whiped ?"
Model Viki




And is it your only job ?


Mainly yes, but sometimes I make some graphics designs like websites, posters or business cards. It’s my acquired profession.


How long could you be far from your camera ?

Not really long. I love taking photos, I try to put all my “brain and heart” in every photo I take. Few times I’ve regretted that I don’t have camera with me, so I try to have my camera with me all the time. It’s the first thing I pack when I go somewhere, even if it’s to meet my friends.


Who are your favorite photographers ?

I would have to put a really large list to answer this question, but my favorites are Helmut Newton, Leonard Nimoy and Jan Saudek, and I love photography from the 70’s.





"Laundry 1"




How long dit it take to find your own style ? Could you define it ?

My style came out two years ago, on my second nude shoot. On the first one, idea was to make some glamour-nudes. I did the shoot and few days after, when I looked again at photos and discovered I don’t like them at all. So next time, I made photos the way I “felt” they should be. Every pose and light setup was an experiment. And this is how it came out.


I like strong black’s and shadows. My photos are simple, but it makes viewer focus on main subject. I try to hide something in the shadows, instead of croping it. I use tight crops rarely. It’s not a very popular “kind of style” right now.





"Laundry II"





Is your photography mostly nudes ?

Yes, because for me it’s the simplest definition of beauty. I make simple B-W photos to focus viewer on outstanding female body shape, parts or curves. Body is beautiful, so it doesn’t need dresses or make-up. Finding pose suitable for model is the challenge I like above all.





"Laundry III"








"Body 1"




What is your process of creation ?

I strive for perfection. I try to plan every detail of shoot. But during the shooting there are always changes. Some poses don’t look as good as I want. Sometimes new ideas come or model has some suggestions, so it’s never form A to Z as I planed.


What locations do you tend to use mainly ?

I prefer to shoot in studio. I like to have full control on light. It also gives comfort and quiet which I need to focus on shots. Few times, bad weather spoiled my plans, so I dont go out unless I find some perfect location. Beside it’s not so simple to find good outdoor location for shots, quiet without “crowd”.








"Strong"
Art Model Elizabeth





Some words about your models ?

Finding right model is not so simple, especially when it comes to nudes. I try to work with amateur and pro models. It depends on type of photos. For me it doesn’t matter if model is a pro or amateur, only result counts. I like when I say what I want and model does that, but sometimes working from the”beginning” gives nice results , and can be a lot of fun. I try to look for models almost everywhere, friends, internet, sometimes in the street.


How do you feel at the end of a shooting ?

Most times I feel satisfied but it only lasts for few days. Then I find some things that I could do different or better, I could change this or that. Finally I wind up with some photos I generally like and lot of ideas for new shots. It’s like a chain reaction.





"Cloud"
Art Model Ela





"S"
Art Model Claudia








"Symetry"
Art Model Inya





Have you some challenges you're dreaming about in a near future ?

I want to make exhibition of nudes, and I want to win a photo contest in nudes category.


Where have you been published ?

My photo got distinction in Fotoerotica contest on polish edition of Playboy, so it will be published in February or March.


Bravo !!! What a good news ! Before we leave, maybe a message to send ?

You shouldn’t be afraid to experiment. One good photo is worth it, even if it takes hundred bad to take it. Do it like you want, not the way others want you to do it.



Thanks a lot dear Greg ! Come back soon !!!





"Table"
Art Model Ela






Grzegorz Kulinski ©






No comments: