March 30, 2013

Stan Boulton's Interview








" Being the owner operator of a portrait studio, studio is the the simplest to organize, so the majority of my work is studio based. In fact my first outdoor nude session didn’t take place until December 2008. I have since done some more outdoor work and plan to do more in the future. I enjoy the challenge of shooting outdoors, even if I’m spending half my time looking over my shoulder !" Stan Boulton







"Introspection"
Art Model Michaela






Stan Boulton at his official site, Studiovogue Photography, Net Model, deviantART, his first feature.












Dear Stan, I know you've begun to shoot after a car accident. Why this sudden passion ? From where does it come ?

I'd always had an interest in photography. During the early 90's I did quite a lot, mainly of trains and family, but did feel limited by being at the mercy of labs, and the skill (or otherwise) of the operator.

There was a lengthy hiatus over the late 90's and while I had been looking at digital camera's for a while, it wasn't until after the accident that I decided to make my first digital investment, a Sony F707.

Initially most of the shots I took were family, pets and landscapes, but I soon found myself throwing the Sony in my bag and carrying it virtually everywhere. I soon found myself taking more and more photo's of people, and found myself really enjoying capturing people. I also found sites like Photosig, and learned, and gained much inspiration from sites like that.








"Torso 1"
Art Model Lauren











I soon was being asked to shoot people, and the following year upgraded to my first DSLR. At first lack of confidence bugged me as I really struggled with posing my subjects, so I ended up joining a couple of modeling sites and quickly gained the attention of a couple of very generous professional photographers. One of whom generously offered to give me some coaching.



At this time I hadn't considered the nude as a subject, mainly out of consideration for my partner, but still felt that it was something I wanted to do.

I felt that if I could successfully shoot a nude, then I was well on the way to being a successful photographer.









"Fashionable Cosmetic..."
Art Model Dollybeck





By early 2006 my confidence was increasing, and with the encouragement I had received, my partner quickly responded to an advert offering what is now my studio for sale.








"Rope 8"
Art Model Candace Nirvana






After the usually to-ing and fro-ing we signed the contract and took over SVP in june 2006.

Part of the service of the business included what was euphemistically called intimate portraiture, and after some long conversations with my partner, we agreed to maintain that element of the business. With the assistance of the previous owner we then booked the beautiful AnneD and were launched into the world of art and glamour photography. Fortunately Anne's confidence and John's experience carried the day...


We're never alone when we find our way !... It's a really nice story Stan, thanks to share. So, you can't stay a long time far from your camera. Do you think you could make something else ?

Oddly enough since turning professional I tend not to carry my camera with me all the time. I never leave town without it but often leave it at the studio over a weekend. Sometimes I do regret not having it with me but maybe I'm just getting lazy, a 1Ds and 70-200 f2.8 isn't exactly a pocket camera !

As to other art form's I used to make models and had a great vegetable garden but with the accident found those activities very painful... Now with the studio and working 6 days a week I just don’t have time.










"Cave 6"
Art Model Seraphiim










"Sleeping beauty"
Art Model Seraphiim












"Nightmoves"
Art Model Jessamyne










I saw many BW pictures in your portfolio. Could you tell us some words about this choice ?

I like BW, but I love the flexibility that digital provides. Often I’m undecided and do both versions.


I don’t necessarily think that colour precludes an image being art, but some images have greater impact in monochrome.


Except nude art, is there another genre you enjoy ?

Many ! While I don’t shoot many landscapes these days I still can't resist a great scene under good light. I’ll still occasionally shoot trains, planes and cars, and enjoy the portraiture. I’m also developing and interest in high fashion, and like adding a little theatrics into my work










"Resting"
Art Model Jesi












Art Model Michaela











Before a shooting, do you plan every details or do you let you a large part of improvisation ?

Oddly enough I rarely go into a session with anything more than a concept, and often end up with something very different to what I expected.


I see my art sessions as a collaboration and have been blessed with working with some very talented models whose input into a session cannot be understated.

I see myself as somewhat conservative in how I pose my models, and as a result tend not to suggest potentially revealing poses. In many cases it is the models themselves that adopt or suggest what may be considered risqué poses and leave it up to me to ensure that decency is maintained.








"Alien reflections"
Art Model Michaela















Film or digital ? Both, if I've well understood ?...

I’m totally digital these days. When I took over the studio I inherited a very nice Mamiya 645, which the previous owner had serviced prior to our take over – its never worked properly since !

I have dabbled with film but find that I’m too much of a control freak to be happy with what the labs might do with it... and then I’d want it scanned so I can finalize the image in photoshop anyway !








"Dance pose"
Art Model Michaela











You can't be clearer. I saw studios, outdoors, indoors shots... Is there a type of locations that you really prefer ?

Being the owner operator of a portrait studio, studio is the the simplest to organize, so the majority of my work is studio based. In fact my first outdoor nude session didn’t take place until December 2008. I have since done some more outdoor work, and plan to do more in the future.

As for preference while I find the privacy and control provided by the studio great there is a limit to what one can do, unless one is in a position to rotate props regularly . I enjoy the challenge of shooting outdoors, even if I’m spending half my time looking over my shoulder !









"On the rocks 9"
Art Model Candace Nirvana





If I may, I encourage you to keep going on to shoot outdoors. Your photographs are truly beautiful.
Talking about beauty, some words about your art models ?
Dollybeck, Candace Nirvana, Seraphiim, for example ? How do you direct them ?

What can I say ?


I have worked with some of the most beautiful, sensitive, creative people I’ve ever had the privilege to meet.


They all bring differing elements to a session and in some respects I hope that I captured some element of their personalities within my work.








"Portrait of an artist"
Art Model Seraphiim












Some like Dollybeck bring many years of experience to a session (she’s been a model for over 20 years) and most of the models I work with all have had fairly lengthy careers, and often talents not directly related to modeling.

Seraphiim for example is both a musician and an artist so I’ve been working on incorporating those elements into my work with her.

Others, such as Candace Nirvana, and Dollybeck’s husband Simon have a dance background, and again I think the work reflects this.


As for directing, I tend to suggest an idea and let them work through the concept, although I do sometimes adjust the pose if necessary. I also welcome their suggestions and some of my favourite work has been a result of my model’s ideas.



Is there an art model with who you dream to work ?

That is an interesting question. I don’t know that I have any particular individual in mind, but I’d like to work with a dancer on a nude project : I don’t incorporate a lot of movement into my work and its an area I need to expand more.










"Arched"
Art Model Jesi










This picture above, "Arched", seems to respond to your wish of more movements. Now, one of my favorite questions : Stan, how do you feel at the end of a shooting ?

Usually exhausted ! But keen to see the results, and inevitably burn the midnight oil trying to get some early edits in.






"In knots"
Art Model Lauren












"Rope"
Art Model Anne
















A difficult question, I know, but what is your own favourite photo ? Could you choose one ?

I don’t think I have a single favourite, more a case of a favourite from a session : Blue rope, from my first session still holds a pride of place on display. But there are many that I’m really happy with and proud to have taken them.


Are you working on a special project ?

Hmmm... I’m not sure that I have an actual project in mind. I’m still learning the art of the nude, and while I have some ideas that may eventuate I’m still working towards producing that piece of art that could grace someones living room.








"More knots"
Art Model Michaela













Or maybe a challenge you're dreaming about, day and night ?

We all have dreams. I’d like to work more on location, perhaps in some of the older buildings and hotels we have in Australia.

I’d also like one day to incorporate the nude into a railway setting. It would be an interesting spin on the industrial nude.


No less than two dreams ! Two projects in fact. Time will come soon, because you're already on the way, believe me... Do you plan an exhibition of your work ?

At this stage apart from DA and Redbubble the only exhibitions I have had to date are online at Michelle 7. I haven’t to date put much thought into a gallery exhibition. That will no doubt come but when… not sure...










"Sublime"
Art Model Candace Nirvana












"I wonder if..."
Art Model Candace Nirvana





I didn't see any book about your work ? Is there one to come ?

Again I haven’t thought much about books. I can't say one isn’t a possibility in the future but at this stage, not yet.


What is your best way to promote your work ?

Self promotion is perhaps one of my greatest weaknesses. I’ve tended to put work online on sites like Pbase, DA, Redbubble and Michelle7, and had some interest from the community. The encouragement certainly keeps me going ?


What am I doing right now ?!... Never stop, it's your passion and your vocation. And concerning the self promotion, you're not alone to have some problems with. So, let's be clear, where can we purchase your prints ?

I sell prints via Redbubble and DeviantART, or can print Ultrachrome K3 prints to 24*36” myself.






"Dunes"
Art Model Seraphiim









Is there a question nobody ask you and you would like to answer ?

Hmmm... What drives me.

One of the greatest tragedies of the past few years has been a counter reaction to the liberties gained during the 60’s and 70’s.

Once again we are seeing a society that is increasingly seeing nudity in purely sexual terms, and nudity as a whole is something to be ashamed of. I hope that in some small way I can present the nude as an empowering.


I agree Stan. And here, we are all daily fighting against this crazy new censorship. What advice would you give to someone who want to work in your genre ?
By all means try it. But approach your subject with maturity and expect some tribulations along the way.

Nothing is easy. A message you’d like to leave to our readers ?

I’d like to thank them for their interest in my ramble. I hope they like what I’m trying to achieve.


I'm sure ! Thanks a lot Stan. It was a great interview.







"Queen of the sea 7"
Art Model Seraphiim



No comments: