December 15, 2013

Doug Winsor's interview



" Duane Michals once told me : "do what you love and the money will follow", now maybe it's cause he shot for Vogue. But all I can say is : "Duane how long 'til I get some money, I want a Hassy H3D... But really I love that there are so many photographers out there these days. You can see the passion for still photography is alive and well... and that makes me very happy." Doug Winsor







"Dark Water"
Art Model Elena








"Floored"
Art Model Gillian









Doug, I know how secret you are, but could tell us a word about your passion ? How did you begin ?

I got interested around age 15, my father bought me a Minolta 35mm and I started taking pictures of my friends skateboarding. Around 19 I shot my first nudes and, well, I've never really stopped.









"Bruiser"





Young, of course ! After this revelation, did you take some courses ?

I have a BFA in photography from Ryerson University in Toronto.


So, it's more than a hobby. Who are your greatest inspirators ? Your favorites ?

In the beginning it was Mapplethorpe, Helmut Newton and Sally Mann (who I met and she freaked me out cause she was so cool)...

These days I get more inspiration from random stuff, lots of painting and illustrations actually.









"Sun down"
Art Model Jay Nick





As the majority of the contributing artists of this site, are you an obsessive photographer ? In fact, how long could you be far from a camera ?

I stopped shooting for almost 2 years once (from 1999-2001) cause I felt like my photo career had stalled and dropped into nothingness.

These days I have a love/hate relationship with it.










"Wave"
Art Model Elena












"Park here"
Art Model Christine Newhook





I've never really loved the change over to digital. I always feel like something is missing but I'm sure that feeling will go away someday. Maybe I just miss big, square negatives.



I know it can sound stupid, seeing your work, but except outdoors, in outstanding locations, is there another type of location that inspires you ?

Outdoors ! I really have trouble with indoor work. It's so limiting... and winter's coming so I expect to produce very little work over the next few months.










"Ride"










"Almost"












"Krisilhouette"





OK. Outdoors. You shoot mainly in BW with a strong preference for natural light ? Am I right ?... And so, what about color ?


Natural light is my preference and b&w is all I really do these days. I never felt comfy with digital color (at least not yet but I'm working on it).


How long dit it take to find your own style ? This mix of simplicity, in great landscapes, mainly shooting your models in amazing settings...

Style took a good decade I think. Still not really sure how to define it, all I know is I'm trying to change/destroy it.


I get really bored repeating myself, it's that lame trap that so many of us fall into.










"Upside"




You're so right ! Is your photography mostly nudes ?

These days yes, but I've been trying to shoot landscapes. It's just so boring to shoot but I like the results.


What is your process of creation ? Chaos or order ?

I try for order but the fact is that I'm disorganised and random.


I usually don't think about what I'll do for a shoot until about an hour before it begins...


Like this morning I did a shoot with a new model and I had no idea what to do when I was driving over to pick her up. 10 minutes later she was wandering around naked. Yet it still looks like I got some cool pics from the shoot ?







"J beach nude"





What is your favorite theme ?


Nothing in particular, changes day to day.


Some words about your models ?

I shoot a lot of different girls, this summer about 40 new models. All of them are pretty great (of course I have my faves) but really right now there are too many.

Everyone always wants to shoot more images and I can't find the time so I turn people down...


I know that sounds crazy : naked women want me to shoot them and I say 'no'. My friends love my problems.



I'm sure !... A shooting that you particularly liked ?


My first shoot with Jana and shoot with A. because I got a few pics I love. I shot these 2 girls I work with often (Christine and Cori) making out in the back of my neighbours pickup truck which was fun. But I could write great stuff about every shoot... really though I'm lucky cause I rarely get crazy models, they're all down to earth and beautiful. I think it's because of where I live, there's no poison in their egos around here.










"Pick up"
Art Models Cori and Christine Newhook













"Domestic 38"
Art Model Natalie Swift





Traditional question : how do you feel at the end of a shooting ?

Hungry and thirsty (cause I talk quite a bit).


Have you a special project, some challenges you're dreaming about ?

Changing my style so it's more cinematic... Bigger setups with multiple models... darker yet surreal. Maybe ?


Have you scheduled your next exhibition ?


If someone wants to exbit me the let me know. Around here the only place that'll put up nude photos is in the condom store.









"Untitled 117"





Not the best place indeed ! Have you published a book ?

Actually working on a book now. Figure it'll be ready by late spring.


Keep us informed ! Besides shooting, have you another passion ?

I snowboard a lot in the snowy seasons and I play poker (I'm going pro I tell ya !). I'm with someone I really dig right now so that's got me flying high (and she's one of my models, maybe shooting naked women does have it's benefits).


A message to send ?

Duane Michals once told me "do what you love and the money will follow", now maybe it's cause he shot for Vogue. But all I can say is 'Duane how long 'til I get some money, I want a Hassy H3D...

But really I love that there are so many photographers out there these days. You can see the passion for still photography is alive and well... and that makes me very happy.



Patience... What a tough quality ! Thanks a lot Doug ! Come back soon !!!








"Scorpion"
Art Model A.







"Fingertips"



No comments: