July 16, 2011

Betty Page, in loving memory









 


"I never thought it was shameful. I felt normal. It's just that it was much better than pounding a typewriter eight hours a day, which gets monotonous."

"Bettie Mae Page (April 22, 1923 – December 11, 2008) was an American model who gained a significant profile in the 1950s for her pin-up photos. Often referred to as the "Queen of Pinups", her jet black hair, blue eyes, and trademark bangs have influenced artists for generations." Wikipedia

When I was young, I had two loves : Bettie Page and Marilyn Monroe. I was crazy about them, collecting all what I could find, cards, books, photos, articles... Bettie Page looked so nice, so free, and feminine. She was my icon.

I have to admit that her photos are not artworks but she had the strength to open the door to a fresh and liberated eroticism in a false prude country. For that, I thank her and I wish her the best in her new world.




The boat series by Bunny Yeager









































And :























































“I paint Women. Pinup, Burlesque, Fashion, Fantasy. I have always drawn women. I can remember when I was three or four, drawing a Barbie-like character based on my mother, although Barbie Dolls didn’t exist until I was 10 years old. ”









And :



























































































































































Pin-up girl Marilyn Monroe →


No comments: